Friday, September 14

Government vs. Religion in India


BBC NEWS | South Asia | Report on Hindu god Ram withdrawn

Hinduism as a religion encompasses the worship of over 300 million gods and godesses. In the report cited, the government was trying to build a canal that would have to plow through a natural bridge formation that the locals believe was built by the god Ram and his army of monkeys. The report itself said that the bridge was not built by Ram because Ram does not exist.

Initially this seems like just an interesting story, like "Miracle on 34th Street," but it begs the question, How many development projects have been conducted by the other 300 million gods over the milleniums of civilized existence India has enjoyed. I wonder if this poses any kind of long term threat to the future economic development of India.



Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

So, I'm not sure how I feel about the bridge, but I very much enjoy the idea of anyone having an army of monkeys. I have a Christmas monkey, but I think he's too old to be drafted.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.