Thursday, January 17

Google 'OS'? kind of.

Though the title suggests a Google OS, this is actually Ubuntu Linux with a bunch of Google features integrated so smoothly that Gmail, Google Calendar, and maybe desktop search work like native programs.

Funny thing about that. If your Internet lags, your system performance might seem to lag, because your 'apps' are really web 2.0 apps that rely on external servers.

I hearby promise to set this up in a virtual os on my compy when I get home. I'll add comments to this post to keep you appraised of my opinions on this. I'd probably ignore this except that they're marketing it as a real alternative to Windows machines with the support of Walmart.

Also, it's essentially open source, just not on the GPL licence, this is notable on a Creative Commons license that allows for derivative works. If this takes off, and the Google integration improves, ... . Well, I don't know if I can even think about that right now, that's probably bigger than my mind can follow effectively. But it would probably be cool.


2 comments:

Sunny said...

I've started downloading it. But I can't find a good free virtualiztion program that will work for Vista Home Premium. Which means I might have to do a real install, which might mean screwing up my MBR, which really isn't something I want to mess with.

Trying to figure out what to do to make this work.

Sunny said...

Well, whaddya know, there's directions on the website. Almost done, should have something to report by Monday.